Narrative Practices for Practitioners
Continuous Professional Development for Coaches and Therapists
Delve deeper into understanding narrative theories, perspectives and practises within coaching
One of the main things that unite us as human beings, as well as creating the most friction, is our storytelling abilities.
We can be drawn in by our clients’ stories, feel enraged and heartbroken on their behalf, or we can have a kneejerk reaction of rejection based on their narrative.
We’re hardwired for certain narratives, while we learn and internalise others. Culture, society, genetics, politics and traditions all play a part of how our paradigms are shaped and changed.
This 2-day CPD’s aim is to get you familiar with common tricks of the mind that impact both our client’s narrative but also ours, as listeners and practitioners. It’ll focus on the power of stories and how our belief system can radically change our worldview and any client or coach outcome.
It’ll teach you ways of working with a client’s narrative to help them feel empowered and free from limiting beliefs and how not to get stuck in client’s longwinded stories, not buy into a client’s story and how you don’t have to dig deep to resolve a problematic narrative.
During this 2-day CPD we’ll explore:
- The role of evolution and human psychology and its impact our own and clients’ narratives and stories, including cognitive biases and the power of beliefs
- The role of external factors and systemic issues on shaping our own and clients’ narratives and how easily our perspectives can be manipulated by others and projected onwards
- You’ll learn about Michael White and David Epston’s Narrative Therapy and David Drake’s Narrative Coaching and how to apply some of the common models from these frameworks in your coaching practice, including case studies
- We’ll explore relationship dynamics, parallel processes and transference and how these might impact the narrative and stories shared between client and coach
- We’ll cover creative ways of working with narratives
Throughout the 2 days, you’ll be challenged to constantly notice and ponder the narratives coming up for you both inside and outside of the training space
There’ll be time for group discussions and break-out room activities in both pairs and triads, as well as quiet, self-reflective, creative tasks
After completion of the course, you will receive a downloadable PDF certificate demonstrating that you have completed 12 hours of Continuous Coach Education as Accredited by the International Coach Federation and 12 hours of Recognised CPD with the Association for Coaching.
New dates coming soon!